Beat the flu with these 5 natural tips
Friday, October 16, 2015 by Vicki Batts
As the Autumn air begins to have its familiar chill, one thing is for certain – flu and cold season is on its way. The flu vaccine is largely ineffective as it’s really just a guess – there is no way of knowing what this year’s flu virus is going to look like. Here are 5 natural, surefire ways to stay healthy during the season and help keep your immune system in tip-top shape.
- Vitamin D3 – Most of the body’s vitamin D is produced from sunlight, but there are great food sources like wild caught salmon, almonds and mushrooms, to help boost your intake. Vitamin D helps to build and produce antiviral peptides – which attack invading organisms such as the flu virus.
- Probiotics – Millions of good bacteria reside in your gut, and so does a large part of your immune system – they work together to keep bad bacteria from overrunning your body. Probiotics will support a healthy gut.
- Green tea – Rich in antioxidants, and helps to support T-cell function – one of your major immune system players.
- Elderberry – Helps to inhibit flu virus, and Norwegian studies showed consumption of elderberry extract reduced flu suffers’ recovery time by 4 days.
- Echinacea – Research shows it reduces severity and duration of flu and cold symptoms and is an excellent preventative.